a blog for the globe
Sunday April 30th 2017

About My Humble Self

(Photograph: Boy Irwan/2011)

My name is Hawe Setiawan. I am a Sundanese, living in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia, with my wife and three children. I am a freelance columnist and editor. My main interests are language, literature and culture. I can be reached at hawe_setiawan@yahoo.com.

Reader Feedback

17 Responses to “About My Humble Self”

1. Green says:

Dear Pak Hawe,

Laman ini menarik. Tapi mengapa menggunakan bahasa Ingris? Jika tujuannya untuk menjangkau pembaca luar negeri,maka penggunaan bahasa tersebut OK. Namun, ada baiknya edisi bahasa Sunda juga dibuat.
    Nuhun.

2. hawe setiawan says:

Terima kasih atas komentar ini. Bahasa Inggris digunakan memang untuk memungkinkan tema kebudayaan Sunda menjangkau pembaca yang lebih luas daripada kalangan penutur bahasa Sunda sendiri. Sejauh ini saya sedang menimbang-nimbang kemungkinan untuk menyediakan versi bahasa Sunda pula. Mudah-mudahan.

Hatur nuhun kana kamandangna. Basa Inggris teh ngahaja dianggo malah mandar tiasa ngadugikeun jejer kabudayaan Sunda ka para maos nu langkung lega ti balarea Sundana nyalira. Dugi ka danget ieu, simkuring nuju ngiker-ngiker kamungkinanana nyayagikeun versi Sundana deuih. Mamanawian.

Thanks for this comment. English is used in order to convey the subject on Sundanese culture to the broader readers, not only Sundanese native speakers. So far I have been thinking about the possibility to provide Sundanese version of this site. Hope so.

3. cecep says:

Good luck, Hawe. Please continue writing in English about Sundanese culture. I hope you write on current issues on Sundanese culture from the perspective of politics, philosophy, and economy. Not just language and literature.

4. Hawe Setiawan says:

Dear Cecep,

I thank you very much for your support. This simple blog is dedicated to everyone who is interested in Sundanese language, literature, and culture. The three subjects have been of my priority. Anyway, I will try my best to provide information on current issues on other Sundanese subjects too, especially for the ‘News’ segment.

5. cecep says:

Thank you, Hawe. You are my best friend, and your writing will enhance people’s understanding of the world. Good luck.

6. andrew weintraub says:

thanks for posting news about Sundanese literature and culture. I liked your article about pantun. I would be curious to know more about Ajip Rosidi’s team which collected pantun stories in the 1970s. Did they transcribe the items exactly as they were recited (from recordings?), or did they “memperbaiki bahasanya”?

7. Hawe Setiawan says:

You’re welcome. The transcriptions seem to be done exactly as they were recited from tape recordings.

8. suryadi(didi) says:

Assalumu’alaikum,

Kenalin, Kang. Abdi Suryadi. Abdi bade naros ka Kang Hawe. Abdi kan kuliah di Universitas Islam Riau (UIR), terus hoyong ngabentuk Himpunan Mahasiswa Sunda anu aya di kampus. Abdi nyuhunkeun solusi sareng kritikan anu ngabangun ti Kang Hawe.
    Hatur nuhun, nya, Kang Hawe.
    :-)

9. Hawe Setiawan says:

Wilujeng tepang, Yi Suryadi. Hatur nuhun tos kersa mukaan blog akang. Gagasan Ayi kanggo ngadegkeun Himpunan Mahasiswa Sunda di Riau sae pisan. Organisasi sapertos kitu sae kanggo mageuhan duduluran, manjangkeun tali mimitran. Aya sabaraha urang mahasiswa Sunda di Riau ayeuna, anu parantos kacatet? Ku emutan, aya saena Ayi ngajak ka rerencangan di Riau ngariung heula, kanggo ngabadantenkeun eta gagasan. Upami sadaya parantos sapuk kanggo ngadegkeun organisasi, tangtos peryogi muguhkeun program-programna. Usulan ti akang: ngayakeun program rutin, upamina pertemuan unggal minggu, anu sipatna salse tapi daria (serius). Dina pertemuan rutin, rengrengan pangurus sareng anggota Himpunan tiasa ngabahas buku-buku anu patali sareng kahirupan urang Sunda, utamina nu ngabahas Sajarah, Budaya, sareng Bahasa Sunda, kalebet buku-buku anu diserat dina bahasa Sunda. Sapertos “reading club” bentukna mah. Tah, insya Allah, akang tiasa mantuan nataan buku-buku naon nu peryogi dibahas.

10. suryadi(didi) says:

sateuacana htur nuhun pisan masukan ti kang hawe,
    didi bade ngariung heula sareng rerencangan ti kampus.
    didi sareng rerencangan bade ngadegkeun khususna ti UIR(Universitas Islam Riau)heula kang, upami tingkat se-Riau mah mungkin jangka panjang na…
    nyuhunkeun do’a na wae ti kang hawe, ngkin hasil rundinganana didi wartosan deui
    sakali deui hatur nuhun pisan nya kang nu saageung-ageungna..
    :-)

11. Anton says:

Dear Kang Haji,

How are you?
    It’s a long time we don’t meet.

I appreciate your blog.
    Well done, Kang…two thumbs up..!

Now I work at a coal mine located in the Dayak Maanyan’s jungle, East Barito, Central Kalimantan.
    They have a unique language and culture.
    In the past, their kingdom, “Nansarunai,” has been attacked by Majapahit which is in Maanyan called Usak Jawa.

Cheers,

12. Hawe Setiawan says:

I’m fine. Glad to hear from you again. What does the jungle look like? It must be great! I’ll miss you here in Bandung.

13. Anton (Iday) says:

Absolutely not.

The rain forest has been damaged. Wild life has disappeared since long time. It’s like Iwan Fals’ song: “the bulldozer roared, fallen tree thundering…”

Sadly, I participate in destroying the rain forest, to find black gold “batubara”..

I miss you too.
    I miss our “Cupumanik” Team.

Cheers,

14. Anton (Iday) says:

Kang Haji,

I can not write anymore.
    My hands are more skilled for using explosives to blast coal overburden than write a short story.

This is may be a curse because I have destroyed the sacred forest.

I am Sundanese. And Sundanese should respect forest.
    but now I destroy forest for a living. It’s really sadly.

When we together manage Cupumanik, it is a wonderful time. I can write and read anytime. I miss that time.

Cheers,

15. Gael Newton says:

Dear Hawe Setiawan

The National Gallery of Australia acquired a large collection of Indonesian photographs from Dutch rare book dealer Leo Haks in 2007. We will be presenting an exhibition in early 2014. I was interested in your comments about Junghuhn, who was an early photographer as you know. Like you I dont read Dutch or German so it is not easy to access his wirk. It seems amazing there is nothing substantial in English given the beauty of his work. Yours sincerel
    However, I would also be interested in your response to the photographs of Priangan in our collection (see http://www.nga.gov.au go to collection search advanced and put Haks in the provenance tab and then Priangan in the title tab.
    Ms Gael Newton Senior Curator

16. Hawe Setiawan says:

Dear Ms. Gael Newton,

Thank you very much for your comment about my modest account on Junghuhn’s work. Please forgive me for this delayed reply. Yes, it is a sad thing that there is nothing substantial in English that we can read about his photographic works. It seems that what we can read on this subject is merely Rob Nieuwenhuys’ interesting work —in Dutch— about Junghuhn’s life and works, in which the author pays attention to, among other things, Junghuhn’s photographs. It is entitled Java’s Onuitputtelijke Natuur: Reisverhalen, tekeningen en fotografieën van Franz Wilhelm Junghuhn (1980). Perhaps, the lack of written materials about Junghuhn’s photographs is caused by the fact that Junghuhn was better known as natural scientist than artist. He was not a professional photographer or illustrator.

I am interested in your collection of Wijnand Kerkhoff’s photographs that depict Priangan in the first half of 20th century. However, forgive me for not able to see clearly the photograph of the “waterfall” (Accession No: NGA 2007.2429.10) —it looks like a negative image. The rest photographs in this collection, mainly the one about “the water buffalo on hillside” (Accession No: NGA 2007.2429.3) and the other one about “rice planting” (Accession No: NGA 2007.2429.4), are interesting.

I think we need some additional notes about the photographer and his works. Again, sadly to say, we can’t found substantial source in English about the photographer. According to a review of a photography exhibition issued on a Dutch newspaper in 1986, Wijnand Kerkhoff published “een reportage over het dagelijks leven in Indie” (a report about daily life in Indies) in around 1938. You can access the newspaper article through this link: http://kranten.kb.nl/view/article/id/ddd%3A010471616%3Ampeg21%3Ap007%3Aa0074

We also need additional notes about the places depicted in his photographs. You know, from 19th to early 20th century Priangan —or “Preanger” in Dutch— was an administrative and socio-cultural term. Administratively speaking, in 19th century the region of Priangan consisted of five regencies in the province of West Java, i.e. Cianjur (Tjiandjoer), Bandung (Bandoeng), Sumedang (Soemedang), Limbangan (present time Garut), and Soekapoera (present time Tasikmalaya). Socio-culturally speaking, Priangan refers to the whole regions of West Java — or to the centre of excellence of West Java. One tends to divide the region into the western part and the eastern part. We see that Kerkhoff’s photograph about “the water buffalo on hillside” (Accession No: NGA 2007.2429.3) shows us the beautiful landscape of Sukabumi (Soekaboemi), which is located in the western part of Priangan, not in “Oost-Priangan” (eastern part). Cianjur (Tjiandjoer), which is depicted in Kerkhoff’s photograph about “rice planting” (Accession No: NGA 2007.2429.4), is also located in West Priangan.

Well, I love to see your collections. And thousand thanks for letting me know about these cultural heritages.

Best,